Kadayawan 2013: Indak-Indak sa Kadalanan

August 17, 2013 - Kadayawan Festival is an annual event here in Davao City. It falls on the 3rd week of August. Prior to the major events, there are also series of mini-events held here in Davao for the celebration of Kadayawan Festival. This festival celebrates the colors of life, bountiful harvest and merry making among Davaoenos. The fruits such as durian, mangosteen, rambutan, lanzones, pomelo, etc. are available and abundant during the celebration.

Though there were major concerns before this celebration happened. There were bombings happened in other cities nearby and of course, we were scared that Davao might be included in the target list. There were times that Mayor Rodrigo Duterte wants to postpone the Kadayawan Festival due to bomb threats. But thankfully, during the opening of Kadayawan Festival at People's Park, he said that he wants to pursue the celebration no matter what. It just needs tighter security which means, more policemen and army from Task Force Davao to be deployed in the city streets. The end result: A peaceful and secured celebration of Kadayawan Festival.

August 17, 2013 was slated for Indak-Indak sa Kadalanan. It features Mindanaoan dances from different groups. There were 2 categories: Davao-based Category and Open Category. Overall, there were 23 contingents who joined the celebration.

And to add to my privilege, few days before the celebration, me and my friend were able to claim our photographer's pass which means, we are more prioritized and we can take better pictures anywhere we want. :D

Here are some of the pictures during the Indak-Indak sa Kadalanan: (Take note: I just used my trusted Canon Digicam for all of these photos.)


Before the Indak-Indak sa Kadalanan Celebration







This is how tight the security is. 












































The celebration was successful and I felt secured at that time. It was also my first time to cover this event without my family since they also had their own activities as well. Despite the warnings, I braved through the streets and so do the spectators and photographers who want to take part of the festivities. This was one memorable event.

I didn't finish the whole event since I got so tired and I decided to meet my friend whom originally lived in Davao and currently staying in Manila. We had an awesome chit chat and the changes about Davao City. Afterwards, we went to Abreeza to have lunch at Bonchon Chicken and I attended the Coke Event while he went to G-Mall. After my event in Abreeza, me and my 2 blogger friends went to SM Lanang Premier to cover the concert of Erik Santos at the Fountain Court. All in all, I was in downtown like 16 hours! whew!

This was like the best day of my life and never experienced a Kadayawan Festival like this! Usually, we'll just witness the Indak-Indak then head home. Last year, I missed the event since I had to teach piano in our home. But this year, I never want to miss this and being out in the downtown for 16 hours was a big proof on how I missed the event so much! That was tons of fun! I hope to experience like this again next year and this time, I've got to invite my friends and be out in the downtown for just 18 hours! :D


Madayaw! Thanks for reading!

27 comments:

  1. Kadayawan festival is one of the most awaited festivity in our country. Every year it look nothing but fun.

    Ang kukulay talaga nila. :)

    I'm glad that the bombing treat speculation was not true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really fun especially if you happen to experience live! Come next year and join the fun! :D

      Delete
  2. What a colorful festival..
    I had originally planned to join fellow travel bloggers from PTB but due to time and budget constraints.. I had to take a pass for Kadayawan this year.
    looking at these photographs makes me feellike I missed a lot.
    A whole lot of awesome photographic opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.. sayang! You could have joined the rest of the Pinoy Travel Bloggers. I've met some of them too! :D

      Delete
  3. I love how colourful our festival back in philippines i would like to go and visit all the festivals back in Phlippines and enjoy being a pinoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I also want to vist so many places here in our country and experience their culture and festivl.

      Delete
  4. How did you apply for a photographer's pass? Your pictures are too vivid! Of course, this event would pose as one of the best days of your life. :) Colorful eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went to the city hall with my friend. We listed our name and presented a valid ID. Afterwards, we claimed our photographer's pass. It's a sticker actually.

      I made my pictures vivid by adjusting the saturation of each picture. I think it turned out pretty good I guess! :D

      Delete
  5. Kadayawan is always a colorful festivities and one of the many attractions that Davao has offered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! It's why this is one of the major events in the city. It's better to experience live and on the streets! :D

      Delete
  6. Kadayawan is such a colorful and festive event. Dinarayo talaga ng mga turista ang Festival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Every August is always exciting especially if it's 3rd week! :D

      Delete
  7. This is such a colorful festival and has a lot of community involvement and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorful indeed! Can't wait for next year! (excited lang?) :D

      Delete
  8. Glad the festival pushed through despite of terror threats within Davao suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thankful that the festival pushed through despite the bomb threats. I felt secured and safe that time. :)

      Delete
  9. Kadayawan is certainly a feast for the eyes because of the amazing colors that come with the celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! The colorful costumes, props and lively dances are the reasons why this event is one of my favorites! :D

      Delete
  10. Kadayawan is definitely one of the most colorful festivals here in the Philippines! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! It's truly colorful! It's an event to watch for every August!

      Delete
  11. Mindanao really has a rich culture :) It would have been nice to witness this festival and enjoy the wonderful colors of the costumes and props :) Our city does have our own festival but its not as colorful as this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's why whenever I hear the sounds of agongs and drums, I feel goosebumps! It makes me wanna dance in the beat! :D

      Delete
  12. Wow! I've never witnessed this kind of event. People seem to enjoy a lot during these kinds of festival. Everything is colorful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should witness the event next year. You'll have lots of fun! :D

      Delete
  13. This is one of the country's many festivals' everyone is looking to! And i must say all my friends who went to join this in Davao have all smiles in them coming back here in Manila. PS. All your photos are very well taken, huh. nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :D

      I just did a little tweak in my photos and the magic unfolded! :)

      Delete
  14. This is one of the celebration that i would like to see. i am fascinated with their dances and colorful clothes.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.