Somang Kimchi: Dinner Satisfied!

November 4, 2013 - I've lived here in Davao since forever and every time I pass by the main road in Bajada, I was always eyeing on this Korean Restaurant and for years, it stood there and I was intrigued on what dishes they serve that time. For years, still, it stood there, catering to customers who wants to have a sumptuous dinner at their restaurant.

Even though I worked at Yamaha School of Music last 2010-2011, still, I was intrigued on how it looks like inside this restaurant and since the time they changed their store front and their logo, I haven't even dared to visit this restaurant, just standing out there. All I could do was to just pass by and just call it a day.

But just this day, THIS DAY! This was the day that I finally went inside this Korean Restaurant named Somang Kimchi. They've been around here in Davao for many years now, catering to customers who love Korean food and that includes the Koreans (duh!). As I went inside, I was greeted by their staff "Annyeonghaseyo!" to which I only replied with a simple "Hi!" and to be honest, I was expecting a Korean atmosphere with lots of Korean ornaments and Korean-style design but..


Inside Somang Kimchi
I guess, I was expecting too much. The interior was just like anything but ordinary. I had high hopes that I would feel comfortable inside and enjoy the atmosphere while eating my dinner. Nonetheless, I was here to eat dinner and try their dishes but if they would just tweak their restaurant by changing the wall color, tables and chairs and make it a little modern, it would be better! :D

But the great thing about Somang Kimchi is their free Wi-Fi connectivity! I can say that the speed was good and enjoyed the privilege while inside the restaurant.


Buzzer
Okay, I have to admit but I think, they're the only restaurant so far that has a buzzer on every table. If you want something, just press this buzzer and the staff would respond to it and proceed to the table on where the buzz came from. It will attend to what you need. But in my case, I still waved my hand and they still responded to my call. I had no idea that I can just press the buzzer on the table. :D

I had a hard time scanning on their menu. They're ranged above 100 Pesos and it includes 5-6 side dishes. Few minutes later, I finally chose their Bibimbap since the one I've tried in Bulgogi Brothers was shared with other bloggers and I wanna have it for myself! :D


Corn Soup
After ordering, the lady gave me this corn soup. This was pretty weird for me since the consistency was thick and it was topped with corn kernels. There was a Korean man in another table who was also served with corn soup and he effortlessly used the silver chopsticks on it! I was like, I just have to use my spoon with this corn soup! :D

I love the taste of this soup and with no bias, the best corn soup I've tasted! The taste was perfect and I could have a bowl of this corn soup. I almost finished this soup when the side dishes were served on my table.


My dinner.. A little help please..
Now this is the price of a 200 Peso dinner. It's consist of Bibimbap with hot sauce if you want it hotter, a soup and 6 side dishes. I was worried on how am I gonna finish this all alone. But looking at this dinner, I was however pleased on how it's arranged orderly. This is why I like Korean cuisine: It's orderly and eye-candy!


The Bibimbap and side dishes
The Serving:

The Bibimbap is a Korean dish that has assorted vegetables, ground beef with a fried egg on top and sticky rice underneath. When eating this dish, you have to mix the bowl until it is evenly distributed. You can add their hot sauce to add more kick to the dish although it has a little spice on the bowl already.

The side dishes that I have are: The always present Kimchi, Spicy Cucumber Salad, Seasoned Eggplant, Rolled Egg Omelette, Crispy Sweet Potato and Potatoes with Caramelized Sauce (not sure.) They're carefully arranged and in order.

The Taste:

What I've observed in their Bibimbap was full of leafy vegetables and it overwhelmed a little on the dish. There was a hint of spiciness but it was tolerable and my taste buds agreed to my observation. The ground beef was surprisingly sweet and it was my favorite ingredient in the Bibimbap together with the sticky rice but overall, this was a harmonious dish that I would love to eat once in a while.

On the side dishes, my favorites were Kimchi, The Potato with Caramelized Sauce and Crispy Sweet Potato. To love Kimchi, one must love to eat spicy dishes and can get accustomed to the taste easily and fast. In my case, I learned to love Kimchi when I started to eat spicy dishes since my freshman years in college and with that, I've learned to love them and it's why it's easy for me to eat Kimchi. Actually, all of the side dishes they've served were all delicious, it's just, the three I've mentioned were my favorites. They also gave me sliced pineapples for my dessert. It was good and thankfully, didn't gave an itch in my mouth.


The Aftermath
Well actually, I called my friend Dan to help me finish my dinner but he told me that it'll be a little longer for him to join me. But since my practice with my choir starts at 7:30 P.M. and I couldn't wait any longer. I started dinner at 6:10 P.M. and had almost an hour and a half for me to finish my dinner! I took time eating while watching the news on the television.

At last! I conquered Somang Kimchi and I was so stuffed! But not as stuffed as my Vikings dinner which made me so dizzy! Thank you so much Somang Kimchi for my great dinner and I would love to bring my friends and feast on their meal.. Korean Style!


Kamsahamnida! Thanks for reading!



If you want to dine at Somang Kimchi, they're located at:
- J.P. Laurel Avenue beside Chowking Bajada Branch across Victoria Plaza, Davao City.

What to ride?
- Ride a jeepney that goes to Bajada. Look clearly at the signs and ride to it. You can also ride a jeepney that goes to Victoria Plaza. From there, you can see the restaurant across and you can cross on the overpass or just cross the road. Just be careful.






47 comments:

  1. woe nahurot hahahah nc photo @ aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lagi.. Perting hurota jud!

      Salamat sa pagbisita sa akong blog! :D

      Delete
  2. the aftermath scenario is what every restaurant owner would love to see, a proof that they serve great food! :)

    - Foodamn Philippines (Daryll)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tasted any Korean dish yet but looking at how lovely the food looks I think I am going to try one out. Also, they really do have generous serving of food. For Php 200.00 you have a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are also some dishes that are expensive but with large servings fit for the whole gang!

      Delete
  4. The place seems to be really affordable and a value for money place you can enjoy korean food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. You can really get what you paid for but for some reason, it is more than what you paid for!

      Delete
  5. I love good bibimbap. I wonder if they have a Manila branch? That corn soup looks good! Corn soup is complimentary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only in Davao.. You should come here and try their dishes! :D

      Delete
  6. Wow those are a lot of food for just 200 pesos. And in fairness you've eaten all, and that only means deliciouso subra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. if ganyan ang ambiance ng kainan, then definitely SOLVE ako, even if I seldom go for Korean dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Glad that you like the ambiance and visit Korean restos often and you might like their cuisine.. :)

      Delete
  8. Korean food?....what a wonderful moment when eating like this one?...ohh...eating is my hobby, you know..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know that we have the same hobby! haha!

      Let's dine together some time.. :)

      Delete
  9. The aftermath describes the food the best. I hope I can try this too someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also love the aftermath as it is the proof that the food they served to me was delicious especially if it's so plenty.. :D

      Delete
  10. oh...the before and after only says everything, the food they serve is good, I will going to keep this resto in mind incase we come visit Ph someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you're going to visit Philippines, it must be here in Davao so that you can try their food! :D

      Delete
  11. I love Korean foods, especially the side dishes they serve while waiting for the dish, and over here, we can ask for more side dishes when the main dish takes long, haha, and sometimes, when they serve the main dish, we are already overly stuffed of those yummy side dishes :)

    you describe your experience so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :D

      You can actually order more side dishes in there? That's so cool!
      I might want to try it as well but I'm afraid they're gonna charge me more! haha! :D

      Delete
  12. Is this the one across Victoria Plaza? We've been there once and we all loved the food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're correct. I love their food too! I wanna eat the kimchi again! (adik lang!)

      Delete
  13. The food serving is really unique. Imagine how many bowl in front of you. I certainly don't know where to start. That's a great meal indeed. But I can't have them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, you can start eating the side dishes. Just taste them one by one before the meal is served.

      Delete
  14. Yummy indeed! Look at all the delish foods that you guys ate :-) You make me drool and am glad that I just had my breakfast too or else I get hungry by just looking at the food :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd come to love kimchi when we lived for two years in KOrea, now it is part of my meal everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice! Maybe I should consider buying a jar of Kimchi that is being sold in the supermarkets. :)

      Delete
  16. What is this awesomeness? I miss bibimbap! It's my favorite Korean dish, it's so uncomplicated, very filling. At ang dami ng side dish diyan. Korean dishes here in Metro Manila are so dang expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you should consider travel here in Davao and try the bibimbap here.. :D

      Delete
  17. Honestly, I haven't acquired the taste and love for Korean food! I was in Korea for a week and I never got to eat the local food, too bad eh? I was in a hotel and they served intercontinental food, so who's to blame? hehehe.. Anyway, I think I might be able to take that Bibimbap coz it has sticky rice and it's not with soup in it... hehehe. I miss Davao a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When in South Korea, I think you should try their food especially the Kimchi. It may take time for you to acquire the taste of it but if you love spicy food and maybe weird (hehe!), you'd love kimchi.. :D

      Delete
  18. Wow! Nakakatakam! Natawa ako sa aftermath. The same thing will happen as well if I'm the one feasting on those yumminess! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is satisfying to see the aftermath. It means you've conquered all of the dishes! :D

      Delete
  19. after japanese food, i want to explore korean food next. after tasting and doing kimchi at home - the fambam were on the lookout for a korean resto here in our place - sadly, there was none. have to go to manila pa :(

    'chopsticking'the corn soup - nice! and i'll try that out next time :)

    have a great weekend....and more foodie adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. I hope a Korean resto will be put up in your place so that you can enjoy Korean cuisine.. :D

      Delete
  20. I have difficulty using chopsticks with getting veggies. How much more the corn soup in this blog! LOL! I can't imagine! But it's worth a try! I like Korean food because they balance veggies and meat. Very healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their food is very healthy! I think they're one of the healthiest too! :D

      And I just can't do chopsticks on a corn soup! That was crazy! :D

      Delete
  21. Like always, korean food looks so healthy. Japanese and Korean cuisine pride themselves with aesthetic but I still find Japanese cooking better. :D Great meal! : Gochisou-sama deshita! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japanese food is served with neatness and great presentation while Korean food is served in organized manner but they both deliver great taste! :D

      Delete
  22. Korean food always keeps me drooling. Can't wait to be in Davao by December... I'll definitely try this place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is tolerable and delicious at the same time and that's why I love eating Korean dishes. Kayang-kaya kainin! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. I often eat there too, Jonas. Surprisingly sad, but they've already closed. :( -Patrice Bertulfo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know.. :(

      But not to worry because Itaewon Restaurant is much nearer and better ambiance.. :D

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.