Breakfast @ Mer's Kitchenette, Digos City

April 23, 2014 - Traveling to different places is one of my favorite things to do especially if I'm with my family. It's why when I was asked to be with them, I couldn't contain my excitement as it was my first time to visit General Santos City. With that, I had to be ready with everything. :D

Last Friday, it was the day that we have to travel to General Santos City and since we didn't eat any breakfast, we had to stop at Mer's Kitchenette in Digos City to fill up our hungry tummies.


Mer's Kitchenette
Mer's Kitchenette was our first stop traveling to General Santos City. It's always a big hit especially for those who are traveling south and got hungry. What I love about the place is even though it's not near to any residential houses, it's accessible to those who travel. They have big parking space fit for those who want to eat for a while before continuing the journey.


Inside Mer's Kitchenette
Good thing about Mer's Kitchenette is the interior which has bright colors that can make every traveler enticed to eat. I love the place as it is like a resting place for me before I continue my journey. Unlike other carenderias which are humid and hot, Mer's Kitchenette is air-conditioned which provides comfort while eating. They also have pasalubong area for those who want to bring some when they go home.


Food, food, food!
For those who want to eat a lot in breakfast, this place is perfect as they have variety of choices for you to pick! When I saw the Bicol Express, I told myself that this is the perfect time to taste the dish and spice up my breakfast! They also have the giniling but I didn't chose it as my mom also ordered more food for us to eat.


Native Chicken
I remember when my dad used to serve us a native chicken, I wouldn't eat it as I've seen how he killed the poor chicken in front of me and as a respect, I would only eat the vegetables. But with this trip, since I didn't witness the death of the chicken, I had to eat as it's also my first time to taste it after years of avoiding it. It is actually delicious and it also has lots of meat for me to eat. Although it tastes better if you dip it with soy sauce to enrich more flavor but this native chicken is a must try.


Bicol Express
If you ask me two of my favorite hot and spicy dishes, that would be Laing and Bicol Express. Why? Aside from of course, being hot and spicy, they're packed with flavors that you could enjoy munching while having the intense heat in your mouth making presence. It's why when I ordered this dish, this was like one of my challenges and to be able to eat Bicol Express is like an achievement!

What I love this dish is not just the spiciness, but the flavor! The "gata" or coconut milk always do well with any dishes. I couldn't get enough of this dish as I ate more, it even tasted more delicious. But for those who can't stand the spiciness of Bicol Express, I would suggest to avoid this dish first and for those who want to try, muster enough courage to order this mighty dish!


Here are some of the dishes they've ordered:

Pork Liempo
When there's Pork Liempo, I wouldn't hesitate to get some and love every bite of it! It's best paired with gravy, soy sauce or vinegar. Though I was unfortunate to try this one though. There's always next time!


Arroz Caldo/Lugaw
If there's one perfect breakfast to eat, it's the lugaw and to be honest, I've missed eating this one! My dad ordered this one and yes, I didn't get to taste it! Oh well.. :D


With my family
Of course, a trip wouldn't be complete without my family who are of course, always on their feet whenever we go somewhere. With me are my mom and dad, my sister, my niece and nephews. Thanks Mer's Kitchenette for the breakfast! It was so good!

P.S.
Always ask how much is their food. When we had our breakfast, it turned out to be so expensive that we couldn't believe that we had to pay for such high price! But I still recommend this place if you want to have breakfast, lunch or dinner whenever you travel somewhere. :)



Adios! Thanks for reading!




31 comments:

  1. Jonas, finally na experience mo rin sa Mers Kitchenette, they are really pricey sa mga ulam nila lalo na ang mga pasalubong na bibingka at iba pa.

    Dati we usually drop by sa Mers for pasalubong pero when we discovered that Prangels, rival restaurant of Mers Kitchenette also put up a restaurant unahan lang sa Mers, doon na kami kumakain, same quality pero mas mura compared sa kanila, and masarap ang halo halo sa Prangels. Next time you pass by Digos, sa Prangels na pud try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sige, I'll take note of your suggestion.. Thank you Sarah! :D

      Delete
    2. Love to hear about this Jonas and Sarah. Mer's and Prangels hmmmmm a must try places in Digos.

      Delete
  2. The food looks yummy and have lots of variety too. Check and check

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me drooling with the BIcol Express, kaya lang bakit masabaw hehehe. I am from Bicol so I love BE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shouldn't have lots of it? Hmmm.. I should have known but it was still delicious! :D

      Delete
  4. holy molly! now, I'm hungry! I seriously miss filipino foods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. travelling with family is always fun. bakit nga ba masabaw ang bicol express na yan? hehehe. drooling here too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! Look at all the delicious foods ;) I am drooling like crazy here :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely delish and absolutely forbidden! OMG, how I wish I could have these foods again. Nothing really beats Filipino food. I actually had to stop for a few minutes staring at the picture of the liempo! :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That looks so classy for a kitchenette in Digos! I have been to Digos man times in the past, but I haven't seen modern eateries like Mers. Obviously, it's been ages since the last time I have been there. Year 2000 was the last time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kitchenette's interior looks 'social' and the foods seems yummy. 2 order please of the sarap na lugaw..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Their food looks very delicious. I remember when I was small, we used to travel to Butuan or Cagayan de Oro from Davao City and the buses would stop in "carenderias" or small kitchenettes like this (but not as modern as Mers) and passengers would all go down and eat. I think kitchenettes like this have always been a part of travelling in and around Mindanao.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Next time you visit Mers for snacks try their puto and dinuguan served with hot tsokolate. Yummy. Their bibingka is the best. It's always a pasalubong favorite. Yes it's a little expensive but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Now I know what to taste next time! :D

      Delete
  12. I seem my fave Bicol Express on the table. Gugutom na tuloy ako. Bro, its always fun visiting your blog. Pampaalis gutom ang mga posts mo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The food looks scrumptious! I would love to try all of their dishes when I get the chance to eat at Mer's Kitchenette.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pork liempo looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like there's a lot of choices to choose from.
    I can undertstand your qualms about eating farm animals like the native chicken,
    I was like that when I was a kid. But it didn't stop me to eating them, chicken meat. lol!
    Looks like I'm gonna have to look forward to this stopover when I visit General Santos City.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Varieties of food to choose from and the vibrant place makes a wonderful dining experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. woah! their version of Pork Liempo looks really crispy and delicious!! gusto ko rin to i-try!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the canteen setup for this one and looks like they have the full range of meals for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never visited Digos so this place is new for me. Should I have a chance to drop by the city soon, I'll try to visi Mers Kitchenette :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The food looks good at Mers but was surprised that it's not as affordable as it appears to be. Maybe because it's the most popular in the area that's why they command that kind of price. Is it worth it based on quality and service?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you happen to have thousands in your pocket, it is worth it! But if you're budget conscious, better stick to what is affordable. :D

      Delete
  21. What an exciting display of food but I'm afraid I may be too budget conscious for their food prices if they are on the expensive side.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the name... Mer's Kitchenette. :) Native chickens always have the best taste. Pork liempo looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mer's Kitchenette sure looks like they offer a lot of delicious homecooked meals.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I miss those Filipino foods especially the native chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  25. anu po ang opening hours at closing hours ng mers po.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.